Wednesday, September 5, 2012

"The Train of Their Departure" Discussion #1

From The New Yorker Q&A with David Bezmozgnis:

I wanted to write about the peculiarities and contradictions of romantic life in the Soviet Union. I was six when I left the Soviet Union, so I never experienced this life, but I grew up around many people who did. The Soviet Union seems to exist in the American imagination as a dour place, when it wasn’t like that at all. Except when it was.


Post your reactions as comments.
·         What was your emotional reaction to the story as a whole? 
·          How did the story reflect this dichotomy of Soviet life --  "dour" - "not dour"?
There will be another discussion thread started in a few days; but feel free to bring up you own thoughts as comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use your comments to participate in the discussion.